Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Back sweat, and the little victories in life.

The internet has stopped working in the international hostel, and it could be a few days before it gets fixed. Which actually means it could be a couple of weeks. So I just now have managed to get to the library and get online for TCB (takin' care of business). This week has been slow and there isn't much to blog about, I just feel like posting one; so here are some totally insignificant events that have occurred, I will try to spice them up. 

As you know it's hot in India, and getting warmer as we approach spring months. This kind of climate forces a mid-western United States citizen to opt for a different showering/bathing schedule. Typically at home I shower every morning, both as a way to get clean and a way for me to awake out of the pseudo-slumber I am in just after waking. Though this past semester I would opt for evening showers if I had worked that night, to rid myself of the nastiness of quiznos. However, it is impossible to walk to class (which is a 20 minute hike from the hostel) and not sweat hardcore. This has lead me to opt for a twice a day shower schedule, one when I wake up, and one when all my classes and hikes are done for the day. By the time I return I am on the verge of stinking anyways, so the morning shower is mainly to rid me of my pseudo-slumber, and the second post-class shower is for deep cleaning. 

Since I carry a back pack, it causes my back to sweat. I have never had this problem before, and it isn't that pleasant because it causes the upper back of my shirt to smell as well the back of my back-pack. So I can't wear shirts twice without washing them, they pretty much need a wash after one wearing. I am not sure what to do about my back-pack accumulating an odor, I am thinking of applying deodorant to my back as well as a drastic effort to solve the problem; which may not be too pleasant and brings me to my next insignificant topic. 

So I had one stick of Degree High endurance I had brought with me, and early this week it started running thin. Not good for such a climate. As I went to apply it one morning the remainder simply crumbled, so I, being the resourceful person that I am, pick up the crumbles and apply it to my body via my hand. This might be odd and gross, but it's also economical and better than no deodorant at all. I kept this up for a couple of days, until I found out that in one of the stores on campus they sell toiletry items. So yesterday I proceed on a journey to find this holy grail of cosmetics, and alas, after looking around in this tiny little shop I see sticks of fresh deodorant in a glass case among other items. 

The time-worn shop clerk approaches and asks "What is it that you seek traveler?", and I say "I have come in search of deodorant". He leads me to the selection and lays my choices out in front of me and says "choose wisely...". So I weighed my options and tested each scent and weighed my logic desperately trying to figure out which stick (grail) is the right (holy) one until I figure it out and make my decision. The time-worn shop clerk says "you chose...wisely", I immediately apply it to my odorly wounds and it miraculously heals me of them. The ground started to shake and rubble began to fall around me as I barely escaped with my life, and with a fresh new stick of deo. 

Okay so that didn't happen, and is only a satire of Indian Jones and The Search for the Holy Grail; but at this point, a fresh stick of deo was a holy grail, so it works. All they had was the gel kind, and I am not sure about it. It doesn't seem to last very long in such a warm climate, it might not work if I try to apply it to my back to solve the back sweat problem. Nevertheless, I came out victorious obtaining some fresh deo. 

Other random stuff, I watched a bootleg copy of Burn After Reading yesterday with some fellow students, odd movie...

And I learned how to play a song I should have learned how to play a long time ago, Blackbird by the Beatles. Another student bought a cheap guitar, so it gets passed around among those who can play, which oddly is a lot of students in the hostel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment