Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Hindi lesson

So I just ran into a local student I met a couple of days ago, and tried out my Hindi on him, he said it was good! So here is a hindi lesson for you, in transliteration of course.

1. hello=namaste

-the a's are pronounced like the 'a' in Father, and the 'e' like 'ay', and short.

2. My name is (insert name here)= Mera naam (your name) hai.

3. What is your name?= aapkaa naam kya hai?

Mera=my
naam=name
hai=is
aapkaa=your
kya=what

The sentence structure is of course different, where the verb is on the end. So "My name is Joshua" would be "my name Joshua is". With the script of course, this would look totally different, it's only the transliteration to show the pronunciation.

So I guess I can practice speaking with this guy, who happens to be Mormon converted from methodist due to Mormon missionaries, perhaps we can have some religious discussions as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment